1999 Science Fiction/Fantasy/Adventure Rated PG 131 Minutes
|In Theaters||May 19, 1999
Re-release February 10, 2012
|On 4K UHD||March 31, 2020|
|On Blu-ray||November 10, 2015|
|On DVD||April 4, 2000|
Stranded on the desert planet Tatooine after rescuing young Queen Amidala from the impending invasion of Naboo, Jedi apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi and his Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn discover nine-year-old Anakin Skywalker, a young slave unusually strong in the Force. Anakin wins a thrilling Podrace and with it his freedom as he leaves his home to be trained as a Jedi. The heroes return to Naboo where Anakin and the Queen face massive invasion forces while the two Jedi contend with a deadly foe named Darth Maul. Only then do they realize the invasion is merely the first step in a sinister scheme by the re-emergent forces of darkness known as the Sith.
Rated PG for sci-fi action/violence.
Box office gross: $474.5 million.
Released by 20th Century Studios and Lucasfilm. See more credits.
Mentions in News Stories
- Review: 'Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom' reaches for new heights
- Are fan films the future of Hollywood?
- Monday Mixer: Welcome to 'Star Wars' week!
- Happy Life Day: How big will 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' be?
- Book Review: The force fizzles out in 'Star Wars: Aftermath'
- Toy preview (and advice) for Star Wars fans on the eve of Force Friday