2007 Drama Rated R 158 Minutes
|In Theaters||December 26, 2007|
|On 4K UHD||Not Available|
|On Blu-ray||June 3, 2008|
|On DVD||April 8, 2008|
A sprawling epic of family, faith, power and oil, THERE WILL BE BLOOD is set on the incendiary frontier of California’s turn-of-the-century petroleum boom. The story chronicles the life and times of one Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis), who transforms himself from a down-and-out silver miner raising a son on his own into a self-made oil tycoon.
When Plainview gets a mysterious tip-off that there’s a little town out West where an ocean of oil is oozing out of the ground, he heads with his son, H.W. (Dillon Freasier), to take their chances in dust-worn Little Boston. In this hardscrabble town, where the main excitement centers around the holy roller church of charismatic preacher Eli Sunday (Paul Dano), Plainview and H.W. make their lucky strike.
But even as the well raises all of their fortunes, nothing will remain the same as conflicts escalate and every human value – love, hope, community, belief, ambition and even the bond between father and son – is imperiled by corruption, deception and the flow of oil.
Rated R for some violence.
Box office gross: $40.1 million. View box office history.
Released by Paramount Vantage. See more credits.
Mentions in News Stories
- Redditor delivers lesson on the importance of lighting in film
- 'Pain'ful to say: The trailer for Michael Bay's next movie looks really good
- What were the most popular movies and stars on our site in 2008?
- EW names best 100 movies in last 25 years, we name the top 10 snubs
- All the way to 15: Name the movies referenced on these top t-shirts
- Paramount marries up with Blu-ray again: 37 titles coming next month