Rotten Tomatoes' 50 Most Memorable Cars in Movies
Posted Monday, May 19, 2008 at 2:29 PM Central
by Tim Briscoe
It seems like every day on the internet a new Top 10, Top 50, or Top 100 Movies list pops up. Most are pretty boring rehashes of what the AFI has already accomplished.
The list of the 50 Most Memorable Movie Cars from movie review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes is definitely something different. RT's Matt Atchity counts down the best automobiles in film history.
Just as notable, for me, was the discovery of IMCDB, the Internet Movie Cars Database. I like to consider myself an authority on movies and the internet. I had no idea there was a web site dedicated to information -- including photos -- of classic cars from the movies.
Can you name any of the 58 movies and TV shows that the site lists as including a Jeep Grand Wagoneer? (It's one of my favorite cars ever.) The site has impressive lists for nearly every make and model.
- 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder SWB from Ferris Buehler's Day Off
- GM Batmobile from Batman and Batman Returns
- 1976 Ford Gran Torino from Starsky & Hutch
- 1977 Pontiac Trans Am from Smokey and the Bandit and Smokey and the Bandit II
- 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor from Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2
- 1963 Aston Martin DB5 from lots of James Bond movies including Goldfinger and Thunderball
- Racer Motors Mach 5 from Speed Racer
- 1969 Dodge Charger from The Dukes of Hazzard
- 1963 Model 117 Volkswagen from numerous Herbie movies including the most recent Herbie: Fully Loaded
My only fault with this list is that they included too many famous for TV shows, especially in the top 10. How about a strictly movie car list?