Paul Feig calling for female Ghostbusters
Posted Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 5:04 PM Central
Last updated Thursday, October 9, 2014 at 5:52 AM Central
by John Couture
It's only been 25 years since Ghostbusters 2 hit theaters, but don't count out the long-gestating sequel Ghostbusters 3. Well, actually you can put a fork in it in terms of it being a true sequel with the original Ghostbusters.
The Hollywood Reporter broke the news this afternoon that Sony has given the green light to Ghostbusters 3 with Paul Feig in the director's chair. Furthermore, the sequel is no longer a sequel, but a reboot with female ghostbusters.
Feig is best known for directing Bridesmaids and The Heat, but he was also the brainchild (along with Judd Apatow behind the incredibly underrated TV series Freaks and Geeks. So, two things are a given, he will cast strong, funny women in the film and one of those women will be Melissa McCarthy. Feig later confirmed the news via Twitter.
It's official. I'm making a new Ghostbusters & writing it with @katiedippold & yes, it will star hilarious women. That's who I'm gonna call.— Paul Feig (@paulfeig) October 8, 2014
While I'm not entirely against the idea of a reboot with female Ghostbusters (heck, I wrote about such a prospect back in 2009), I have some qualms about his predictable casting choices. Here are the actresses that I see Feig casting.
- Melissa McCarthy - I think the reboot should go younger and let's be honest, she's not really Ghostbuster material, is she?
- Tina Fey - While I think she would be good in the brainy Spengler role, again I think she's too old for a reboot.
- Amy Poehler - I'm pretty sure that there's a law somewhere about her and Tina Fey being cast together in films. She's also got that whole Parks and Recreation connection. I just don't know who she'd play, Stantz maybe?
- Rashida Jones - Again to the Parks and Recreation, this time to pluck out the new Winston. Actually, I don't really mind this casting and I think she'd be on the high end of age.
Personally, I would aim younger with the reboot and look to cast actresses between 25 and 35. If you have to cast older, I'd go with two older actresses and two younger actresses and play up the whole age difference for laughs. Here is who I would cast in Ghostbusters 3.
- Olivia Munn - While she's gained the brainy chops to pull off Stantz or Spengler thanks to her turn on Newsroom, I think she'd be the perfect Venkman.
- Rose Byrne - She has the Feig connection thanks to Bridesmaids and she'd be a good Stantz. She also brings a bit of international flair to the film as well.
- Emma Stone - Her work in the Spider-man films notwithstanding, she actually has great comic chops and I think she'd bring something the Spengler role that was missing the first time around.
- Mila Kunis - I'm not sure which role she'd be good for, but if she's up for it, I don't see how you don't cast her in the film.
- Jamie Chung - She'd be the perfect Winston and she's certainly honed her comedic chops on the Hangover movies, even if she did play the straight man (woman).
So, how did I do? Who would you cast in Ghostbusters 3? What do you think about this reboot?